Experience the beauty of Kenya
Best Time For Kenya Safari
Kenya has complicated and rather unpredictable weather patterns, making it harder to decide the Best Time For Safari In Kenya, and the impact of climate change is striking hard. Broadly, the seasons are: hot and dry from January to March; hot and wet from April to June (the “long rains”); warm and dry from July to October; and warm and wet for a few weeks in November and early December – a period called the “short rains”. But the Best Time To Visit Kenya is during the Dry season from late June to October (these are the best wildlife viewing months).
BEST TIME FOR WILDEBEEST MIGRATION IN KENYA
Kenya Safari Tours includes the wildebeest migration, from Aug-Oct, this is one of the world's greatest wildlife spectacles, with over a million animals thundering across the savannah.The wildebeest migration usually reaches the Masai Mara in August and remains until October when they move back to the Serengeti in Tanzania. Wildlife viewing is good year-round, but this can differ for some parks.
KENYA, MONTH BY MONTH GUIDE
The beginning of January right the way through to the end of February signals the warmest period for Kenya Safari with higher concentrations of animals congregating in popular tourist destinations, such as the Masai Mara, Lake Nakuru and Amboseli. This is a great time of year for divers to go to Kenya as visibility in the Indian Ocean is much clearer thanks to the lack of surface run off.
Early March still has some blue skies although animals will already be in shorter supply due to the start of the rainy season which runs right through April and into May. Flooded roads, an abundance of vegetation and generally wet weather at this time makes for poor wildlife watching and slippery summits to Mount Kenya however, if you're looking to bag a bargain then this is certainly a time of year worth bearing in mind.
June sees the start of Kenya's dry season with waterholes and river banks teeming with animals and although prices will go up during July and August, being able to observe the wildebeest migration crossing the Masai Mara is well-worth a few extra Shillings.
With the school holidays out of the way in September you'll find fewer visiting families and October through to November is Best Time Of The Year For Kenya Safari if you're not tied to the kids.
Also from travellers perspective, December can be theBest Month For Safari In Kenya with lush green scenery making an ideal habitat for migratory birds and new born animals.
In general, mosquitoes are much more prevalent during Kenya's rainy season and heading to higher ground Laikipia or the Aberdares, for example, is best advice if you want to avoid irritating bites.
KENYA'S CHANGING SEASONS
January to February: Dry season. The best time to go for game viewing. Also the high season when parks get a bit "crowded".
March to May: This is the rain season. So severe that a few camps and lodges are closed because roads are impassable.
June to October: Short dry season with scattered unpredictable and short lived showers. And another best time to visit Kenya.
November to December: Even hotter and drier, and after your Kenya Safari Tours- a great plan is to head for the cooler coastal resorts to relax and recharge before going home.
BEST MONTH FOR SAFARI IN KENYA
JUNE TO OCTOBER –DRY SEASON
- Wildlife is easier to spot because the bush is thin and animals gather around water.
- It's unlikely to rain, the days are sunny with clear skies.
- There are fewer mosquitoes.
- July to October are the Best Time For Safari In Kenyato see the wildebeest migration.
- It gets very busy and crowded in the most popular parks.
NOVEMBER TO MAY –WET SEASON
- The scenery is beautiful and green.
- Rates drop because it's the low season.
- Newborn animals can be seen.
- Migratory birds are present from September to April.
- Except for March to May, rains are usually just short showers in the afternoon.
- During March to May the rains can be continuous – some lodges and camps close down during part of the Wet season.
IN SUMMARY, THE BEST TIME TO GO TO KENYA IS...
- June to October is the dry season with clear skies and less humidity, but mornings can be cool, so bring layers for early game drives.
- The coastal lowlands experience constant high temperatures and sea breezes which make it ideal year-round.
- The spectacular annual wildebeest migration is a changeable and spontaneous natural event so cannot be pinned down to a particular month. As a general rule they tend to arrive between July and September and stay in the Mara between October and November. They then start their migration back towards the Serengeti around December or January.
We are experts in creating Best Safari In Kenya, and find we often get asked the same questions from people planning their adventures. To help out, we’ve put together some practical planning FAQs to help you to find about Best Time For Safari In Kenya. If your question isn’t covered, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.
Ready to travel and discover Kenya Safari Packages Get support from African Outback Safaris local experts for stress-free planning & worry-free travels. Get the best Kenya Destinations guide and Kenya Safari Guide and get the most of adventure on this no 1 African destinations.
Travel Guide City By City
Related Travel Tips
Speak To Someone
Who's Been There
Start Planning Your Tailor Made Tripby Contacting one Of Our African Specialist