6-day hiking Chogoria and Naro Moru Route
Mount Kenya hike program and pricing:
Day 1: Nairobi/Chogoria Town
Pick up from your Nairobi Hotel at 8am and drive north to Chogoria town (on the eastern side of the mountain) for lunch. Afternoon is spent on leisure walk in the town to acclimatize. Dinner and overnight at Chogoria Town at Lizlo Hotel, 2000m, L,D.
Day 2: Chogoria/Mount Meru Bandas – 4hrs, 16km walk, 950m ascent
After breakfast, take a 4x4WD vehicle to the bamboo forest clearance, 16km from where the hiking starts on Chogoria route. You will walk for 16km through the forest along the dirt and sometimes very muddy road. The trekking / hiking lasts for 4hrs to reach Mount Meru Bandas at 2950m for lunch. Afternoon leisure walking around the camp to discover the nearby scenic areas. Dinner and overnight camping at Meru Mount Kenya Bandas (Mt Kenya bandas), B,L,D.
Day 3: Mount Meru Bandas – Road Head Camp, 3hrs, 9km, 350m ascent
After breakfast, hiking follows the track through giant heather and forest up to Chogoria road head. From where the path drops to cross a stream then follows the broad ridge to the east of the gorges valley. You will reach Road Head Camp taking approximately 3-4hrs. Dinner and overnight camping at Road Head Camp at 3300m. It is also possible to go via Lake Ellis, B,L,D.
Day 4: Road Head/Mintos Hut – 4 hrs, 12km
After breakfast follow the track through giant heather and forest up to Chogoria road head. From where the path drops to cross a stream then follows the broad ridge to the east of the gorges valley. You will reach Mintos Hut, 4200m. Dinner and overnight at Mintos Camp, B,L,D.
Day 5: Mintos/Point Lenana (Pt. Lenana)/Met Station – 11-12 hrs, 29km, 785m ascent/1985m descent
Leave shortly after midnight at 2am towards the main peaks of Batian, Nelion and Point Lenana. Divide after an hour, above a flat green area at the head of the valley known as temple fields. Arriving at Point Lenana (the only trekking peak) at 6:30am. After taking photographs and celebration at the summit, descend from the trekking peak via Naro Moru route. Alternatively, it is also possible to hike down via Sirimon Route and shipton’s camp – shipton camp 4200m to spend the night at Old Moses Camp). Hike down to Mackinders for breakfast. Continue with your trekking down to Camp at Met Station at 3000m for dinner and overnight rest, B,L,D
Day 6: Met Station/Naro Moru Gate/Nairobi – 3hrs, 9km, 400m descent
After breakfast, descend by hiking for approximately 3hrs through the rainforest which is 9km to Naro Moru Gate at 2,600m. From the gate, you will connect with your transport to Naro Moru Town for lunch. Take an onward transfer back to Nairobi, arriving at approximately 3pm, B,L
Included in the price:
• Guarantee price/guarantee trek on confirmation
• Transfer to and from the base of the mountain
• Full board accommodation whilst on the trek in camping• Meal plan as detailed: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch and D=Dinner
• Accommodations in camping as per the itinerary
• 1 night full board hotel accommodation at Chogoria Transit Hotel• All park entrance fees to include government taxes
• Service of an English speaking professional guide, porters and skilled cook
• Start and finish Nairobi
• Treated water on the trek.
• On completion, successful Mount Kenya Climbing Expeditions certificate
• Cost of staying in the Meru Mount Kenya Lodge or (Mt Kenya Bandas)• Tips, laundry, sleeping bags and drinks• Accommodation before/after the trek• climbing gears
• International flights
• Visas to Kenya
• Items of personal nature
• Any other extras not detailed in the above itinerary